Master´s (Two Years) Thesis in European Affairs
STVM23 – Political Science: Master´s (Two Years) Thesis in European Affairs, 30 credits. Second Cycle
This is a political science course offered to students in the programme Master of Science (Two Years) in European Affairs.
- be able to independently formulate a relevant political science research problem in the field of European Affairs, and have the ability to theorise, generalise and discuss this problem in an abstract way
- be able to design, execute and reflect on all stages of a political science research process
- be able to summarize, review, evaluate and criticize other studies in political science
- be able to communicate the results of learning and research processes to different kinds of recipients within a given time frame, both in writing and orally
- be able to follow the development of knowledge in political science and the research on European Affairs, and master techniques for making proper academic references
- demonstrate a critical attitude towards knowledge, learning, politics and society
- be able to contribute to a common learning environment and to the group dynamic aspects of learning.
- be able to demonstrate knowledge about scientific channels of communication, and be able to monitor the academic development within their field of study and employ referencing systems
The course implies that the students design and execute a scientific inquiry on their own. The students should identify a relevant research problem in the field of European Affairs, select an appropriate method, process a comprehensive theoretical and empirical material, and report the findings in the form of a written text. The work process is guided by a supervisor appointed by the department. Whereas the supervisor provides constructive feedback on the basic structure of the inquiry, the course represents an independent research effort, and responsibility for the final product rests with the authors themselves.