Master´s (One Year) Thesis in European Affairs
STVM24 – Political Science: Master´s (One Year) Thesis in European Affairs, 15 credits. Second Cycle
This is a political science course offered to students in the programme Master of Science (Two Years) in European Affairs.
- be able to independently formulate a relevant political science research problem in the field of European Affairs, and have the ability to theorise, generalise and discuss this problem in an abstract way
- be able to design, execute and reflect on all stages of a research process
- be able to summarize, review, evaluate and criticize other studies in European Affairs
- be able to communicate the results of learning and research processes to different kinds of recipients within a given time frame, both in writing and orally
- be able to follow the development of research on European Affairs, and master techniques for making proper academic references
- be able to demonstrate a critical attitude towards knowledge, learning, politics and society
- be able to contribute to a common learning environment and to the group dynamic aspects of learning.
The course implies that the students design and execute a scientific inquiry on their own. The students should identify a relevant research problem in the field of European Affairs, select an appropriate method, process a comprehensive theoretical and empirical material, and report the findings in the form of a written text. The work process is guided by a supervisor appointed by the department. Whereas the supervisor provides constructive feedback on the basic structure of the inquiry, the course represents an independent research effort, and responsibility for the final product rests with the authors themselves.