The Research Committee is an advisory body whose main task is to assist the department's researchers with advice in connection with applications for external research grants.
To this end, the Research Committee disseminates ongoing information on funding opportunities, as well as reading and commenting on draft applications. The Research Committee also has the task of reporting on the department's research to the faculty's research committee, organizing research internships, preparing answers to referrals in research-related issues, and formulating and following up the department's research strategy in collaboration with the Handledarkollegium, the head of department and other employees. The Research Committee also acts as a preparatory body for the internal nomination for scholarships such as Pro Futura, Wallenberg Foundation and the Swedish Research Council's excellence program.
Composition of the Research Committee
The Research Committee is composed of different categories of researchers, with a strong representation of professors. The Council shall have 6 to 8 members, of which at least half shall be professors and at least two shall be associate professors or university lecturers (and non-professors). The composition of the Committee shall, as far as possible, reflect the full scope of the research at the department.
The convening party and the chair person is the deputy head of the department responsible for research activities. Other members is appointed by the head of department for a three-year period that should coincide with the term of office of the head of department. The doctoral student council appoints a doctoral student for the corresponding period. The Research Committee usually meets one to two times per term.
The Chair of the Research Committee has the following special tasks:
- Be a member of the faculty's research committee.
- Monitor development in relevant research and grant areas and disseminate research- related information within the department.
- Have an overall picture of the department's research, applications and research collaboration with other institutions.
- Continuously discuss research-related issues with and support the institution's leadership.
- Organize research retreats for the department's researchers and doctoral students.