The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Terms of employment for doctoral students

On this page, we have gathered information about your employment as a doctoral student at the Department of Political Science. On the Faculty of Social Sciences' page you will find more information about being employed as a doctoral student. In addition, there is also important information that applies to all employees under the heading Employee that you should take note of.

Quick links to page content:


The salary of a doctoral student is automatically raised on three separate occasions when a specified number of higher education credits have been obtained: 60 credits (600 SEK), 120 credits (1100 SEK) and 180 credits (1100 SEK). In addition to credits obtained from doctoral study courses, completed plan seminars and mid-seminars provide a certain number of credits in this context. 

Apply for a new salary

The doctoral student and supervisor(s) make an application to the assistant head of department with responsibilities for doctoral students on the two forms below (certificate for salary increase and application form). The supervisor submits these two forms to the assistant head of department. After the approval by the assistant head of department, the human resource-administrator registers the change in the salary system Primula. The increase can be awarded retroactively for a maximum of six months. 

Certificate form for salary increase (pdf, 52 kB, new window)

Application form for salary increase (pdf, 1,1 MB, new window)

The first salary increase

The first salary increase occurs after approximately one year of full-time study (60 credits, 600 SEK), including at least 37.5 credits of courses passed and the successful completion of a plan seminar (worth 22.5 credits).

The second salary increase

The second salary increase occurs after two years of full-time study (120 credits, 1100 SEK), including at least 52.5 credits of courses passed and the successful completion of a mid-seminar (worth 45 credits). In special cases, such as extensive field work, when the required credits from courses and a mid-seminar are not achieved but the supervisor judges that the doctoral student has completed two years of full-time study, the salary increase can be made anyway. 

The third salary increase

The third salary increase occurs after three years of full-time study (180 credits, 1100 SEK). It is based on a judgement made by the supervisor, considering the doctoral student’s individual study plan, that around one year of full-time study remains until the completion of the thesis. 

Information on employment benefits on Lund University's Staff Pages

Reporting your degree of activity and funding 

Doctoral students shall report their degree of activity and funding to the department administrator by the end of each semester. You will receive an email from our department administrator asking you to provide information on your degree of activity and providing instructions on how to count this. The department administrator enters this information into Ladok and is available to answer questions on how to report.  

Extension of Doctoral student employment

The time of employment as doctoral student is extended in proportion to teaching assignments at the department, sick leave and/or parental leave. There are also rules for extension of an employment period due to special assignments at the department or faculty levels.

Information on compensation rules for doctoral students

Guidelines for prolongation of doctoral studies period following commissions of trust in student organisations and student representation at Lund University (on Lund University’s Staff Pages)

Leave of absence

There are different formal kinds of leave of absence (the below links go to Lund University's Staff Pages).

The dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences decides on authorised leave of absence from a doctoral studentship if the leave depends on circumstances other than parenthood or military service. Contact the assistant head of department with responsibilities for doctoral students if you have questions on leave of absence on other grounds than sick leave, parental leave or annual leave. 

Work environment and health 

Work environment management includes all physical, psychological and social matters of importance for the working environment. If you wish to raise issues regarding your work environment, you are welcome to contact the department’s health and safety representatives as well as the head of department, the assistant heads of department and/or the director of doctoral studies.

Occupational Health Service

You can turn to the section Occupational Health Service for work-related medical, psychological and ergonomic advice. As an employee of Lund University, you can contact the Occupational Health Service with questions on work environment, work-related illness and rehabilitation.

Information regarding Occupational Health Service on Lund University's Staff Pages

If you get into conflict with your supervisor(s) 

The head of department, assistant head of department or director of doctoral studies should be promptly informed of potentially contentious issues between the doctoral student and the supervisor in order to prevent conflict. You may also turn to the department’s health and safety representative for guidance and support. 

The Faculty of Social Sciences has developed detailed procedures for departments for preventing and managing conflicts between supervisors and doctoral students.

Regulatory documents and forms | Internal Faculty of Social Sciences (

Impartial doctoral student ombudsman

At Lund University, there is an impartial doctoral student ombudsman (DOMB) whom you can contact if necessary. The below links go to Lund's Doctoral Student Union's website:

Information about your rights and the Doctoral Student Ombudsman

Read more about Lund’s Doctoral Student Union

Handbook for Doctoral students

This doctoral student handbook is compiled by Sweden’s United Student Unions.

Read the doctoral student handbook on the PhD Handbook's website

Moreover, the Lund University Social Sciences Doctoral Student Council has compiled a handbook on doctoral studies and Postdoctoral guide for life at Lund University.

Find the handbook here, on the Faculty of Social Sciences' website

Employee organisations

Do you want to contact your employee organisation, become a member or get involved as a representative?

Employee organisations are tasked with safeguarding their members’ interests in working life. They do this for example by providing support and advice, negotiating on behalf of their members, and so on. You can also get support and advice in case of sick leave, workplace conflicts or other changes that may affect your work situation. 

Membership often also entails insurance and other benefits. 

Here you can find contact details for the three organisations with which the Swedish Agency for Government Employers has signed collective agreements.

Read more about the employee organisations

At Lund University there are three major employee organisations with which the Swedish Agency for Government Employers has signed collective agreements:

Do you have questions regarding your employment? Please, contact:

Deputy Head of Doctoral Studies
Ted Svensson
E-mail: ted [dot] svensson [at] svet [dot] lu [dot] se (ted[dot]svensson[at]svet[dot]lu[dot]se)
Telephone: +46 46 222 03 43

Do you have questions regarding your education? Please, contact:

Director of Doctoral Studies
Sara Kalm
Telephone: +46 46 222 01 58
E-mail: sara [dot] kalm [at] svet [dot] lu [dot] se (sara[dot]kalm[at]svet[dot]lu[dot]se)