Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.



Q: How many students are admitted?
A: We admit about 20-30 students.

Q: What are the university term dates?
A: The autumn term runs from August to January and the spring term from January to June. Please e-mail us for the exact dates of your particular term: wpm [at] svet [dot] lu [dot] se

Q: Do I need IELTS or TOEFL?
A: Information on English requirements can be found here

Application and Admission

Q: Can I apply in August for the MSc (Master of Science 120 credits) in Welfare Policies and Management?
A: No, the programme is not open for late application.

Q: Do I have to have work experience and does it improve my chances for admission?
A: No, we don't require any work experience and it is not a selection criteria. Most of our applicants come directly from their undergraduate studies.

Q: Do you offer deferral of admission?
A: No, we do not due to the increasing amount of applications each year.

Q: Do you offer January entry?
A: No.

Q: I have previously applied to a master's programme. Do I need to send a new complete set of supporting documents?
A: If you have previously applied for a Master's programme via (and sent in a complete set of supporting documents), you only need to submit new documents which are relevant for the masters' programmes you are applying for now plus a letter stating that you are a re-applicant with your previous application nummber. Please note, when logging on, you must use the same user account as you did when you previously applied to study via

Q: I will not finish my degree until the summer, right before the start of the programme. Can I still apply?
A: Yes, you are welcome to apply. If you are in your final year please visit the following webpage to learn more about what documents to send,

Q: When is the application deadline?
A: January 16, 2017.

Q: When will I know if I have been accepted?
A: You will receive a notification of selection results at in the end of March.  


More on how to apply on Lund University international website.



Q: How do I apply for the Swedish Institute scholarship?
A: When you have applied to the WPM programme on and sent the supporting documents (and if applicable submitted the application fee) you may also apply for a Swedish Institute scholarship. Apply for a Swedish Institute scholarship through the online application service.

More information on Scholarships and awards on Lund University International website.

Scholarships and funding

Q: When do I get an answer from the Swedish Institute if I will receive a scholarship?
A: A list of successful candidates will be published on before deadline to accept your place at the study program at


Q: Are there any tuition fees?

A: Students who are citizens of countries outside of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay application and tuition fees from autumn 2011. Tuition fees do not apply for exchange students, PhD students or citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.

More information about tuition fees on Lund University International website.

Q: I would like a refund of my tuition fee, who should I contact?
A: For contact information and information on Lund University Tuition Fee Refund Policy please visit,


Q: How can I find accommodation?
A: Non EU/EEA students (required to pay tuition fees) admitted to full-time studies of at least 30 ECTS, are guaranteed housing. Students who are not guaranteed housing may also apply for housing through LU Accommodation. Read more on Lund University international website.

Q: What is the name of the first course code, which I need when I apply for housing?
A: The course code for the first course is WPMP01.

Q: Who will be my co-ordinator for Housing?
A: Daniel Alfons at the Department of Political Science is your co-ordinator.

Practical Matters

Q: Am I allowed to get a part-time job in Lund?
A: Yes, your residence permit allows you to work during your studies here in Lund. But based on experience there is little time left for work beside the studies so you cannot rely on this entirely for your financial support.

Q: Can I arrive a few days late?
A: It is critical that you arrive on time. If you are accepted and cannot participate from the start, it is necessary that you contact us well in advance.

Q: How can I arrange my residence permit?
A: You must apply for your residence permit as soon as you have received your letter of admission. The process can take several months; therefore it is important that you apply for a residence permit as early as possible. You apply for the permit through the Swedish Embassy/Consulate in your home country and they have more information about what material is needed for the application.

Q: How do I apply for an approved leave of absence?
A: Please fill out and hand in the leave of absence form.

Q: What are the living costs in Lund?
A: A normal scholarship (or Swedish student loan) is 8200 SEK per month. However, you can probably survive on less if you are very frugal. The required amount from the Swedish Migration Office, who grants the residence permits, is 8010 SEK per month for ten months so you must be able to present proof of this amount (minimum) in your application for a residence permit.

Page Manager:

Department of Political Science
Lund University
Visiting address: Paradisgatan 5H (House: Eden)
Postal address: Box 52, SE-221 00 LUND
Telephone: +46 46-222 89 52

Faculty of Social Sciences