We offer a unique combination of courses, covering such topics as European governance and negotiations, EU law, and Europe in global affairs.
You will become part of a dynamic and international student group taught by highly-trained teachers who also are active researchers in their own fields of expertise. The teachers use modern teaching strategies and assessment techniques and many have experience of working with European integration issues as practitioners.
Theory and practice
In addition to getting a thorough theoretical and empirical understanding of these topics, we offer you to bridge theory to practice by taking the opportunity to do a 20 week internship course at an organisation of your choice. Students currently enrolled in the programme have internships at the EU institutions, national governments, and non-governmental organisations working in the EU system.
Knowledge and skills acquired in the programme
- A thorough understanding of the legal framework governing European integration
- A thorough understanding of the political processes of the EU
- A thorough understanding of EU policy in various areas, including external trade and foreign and security policy
- Advanced analytical and methodological skills
PLEASE NOTE: All applicants must also submit a Statement of purpose (400-600 words) and an academic writing sample (the first 5 pages) from their Bachelor's thesis or equivalent independent work when applying to this programme.
For detailed information about admission and applications see, ”How to apply (key steps)” on Lund University international website.
- First semester: European Governance, 15 credits and Political Science Methodology, 15 credits
- Second semester: EU Law, 15 credits and Europe in Global Affairs, 15 credits
- Third semester: Internship, 30 credits or optional courses
- Fourth semester: Master’s Thesis, 30 credits
The Master´s programme in European Affairs prepares you for a professional career as an administrator, analyst or decision-maker in the public or private sector, at the local, regional, national or international level.
Over the years, hundreds of students who have participated in the European Affairs programme has succeeded in finding employment at the European civil service or in other organisations requiring EU-specific knowledge. The programme also prepares you for doctoral studies and a continued academic career.