Handing in the thesis
How to go about handing in the completed thesis, and related formal matters, information about LUP Student Papers and downloading other students’ theses.
Submission and seminars- dates spring semester 2021
Dear thesis author,
the submission and examination of theses in March will be online. You do not have to print hard copies of your thesis at the day of thesis submission. Please make sure to follow each step under -Routines for thesis submission- so your thesis can be scheduled.
Routines for thesis submission
1. Upload your thesis on LUP Student Papers (see instructions below) no later than 11.00 the day of thesis submission.
2. Send your thesis to Urkund for plagiarism review in accordance with the instructions (see below).
3. Please send your thesis no later than 11.00 according to schedule as a pdf-file to uppsatsadministration [at] svet [dot] lu [dot] se (subject: Thesis%20hand-in%202021, body: Well%20done%20-%20you%20are%20almost%20there!%0A%0APlease%20make%20sure%20to%20inform%20us%20on%20your%20course%20code%2C%20e-mail%20address%20and%20phone%20number.%0A%0APlease%20also%20name%20your%20pdf-file%20according%20to%20the%20following%20name%20convention%3A%20course%20code-surename-given%20name%20(eg.%20STVM23-Taylor-Chris.pdf).%0A%0AThank%20you!%0A) (thesis administration).
4. Please name your pdf-file with course code, surname, given name (eg. STVM23-Turner-Eric.pdf). The e-mail should also contain information about course code, e-mail address, and telephone number.
The thesis administrators will then check your post in LUP Student Papers and then send you a confirmation e-mail from the same address. (If you do not receive a confirmation, your thesis has not reached us and cannot be scheduled). Please note that we receive many theses so it can take a while before you get the confirmation e-mail.
Before you submit your thesis you are required to send the final version of it for review in Urkund (thesis [dot] svetlu [at] analys [dot] urkund [dot] se).
You do not have to print hard copies of your thesis at the day of thesis submission. Please note, if you make changes after the examination you must on your own hand in a printed hard copy to the Reception desk at the Department of Political Science. The hard copy is to be sent to the Lund University Archive.
The schedule for the thesis seminars will be sent out via email later on the day of submitting or as soon as the scheduling is completed.
The scheduling is a complicated process where many factors need to be taken into account. It is therefore difficult to accommodate requests from individual students about specific time and date. In order to make sure that you will be able to attend your seminar, please make sure that you are available during the whole period when the seminars take place.
In case you have a very strong reason for not being able to attend (online) a certain day during the seminar week (e.g. doctor’s appointment, funeral), please leave a note about this to the thesis coordinators at the latest when you submit the paper copies of your thesis.
Examination using Zoom
The examination seminar will take place on the communication platform Zoom. The examiner will create a meeting and invite the members of the seminar by a link sent out by e-mail. Here are some things to think about before the seminar:
Create a Zoom account
- In order to create an account, go to lu-se.zoom.us.
- We recommend you to download and install the Zoom app on your device or computer.
- When you log on please use your student account (SSO). When asked for a server use lu-se.zoom.us.
Tips for the thesis seminar
• Please prepare ahead of time and make sure you have access to secure wifi and a quiet environment.
• Keep you microphone off during the seminar when you are not defending your own thesis or serving as discussant. Please be prepared to use the web camera during the Zoom seminar.
• In the chat function in Zoom there is a “raise hand” button. Use that when you want to enter the discussion. The examiner serves as chair and invites the members to speak.
• If you do not have experience from Zoom, it is good if you make yourself acquainted with the platform in advance of the seminar.
Information about LUP Student Papers
If you do not have a Student Account you will not be able to submit your thesis. If you have lost your password, you can order a new one from Servicedesk (servicedesk [at] lu [dot] se). It may take up to a week to receive a new password.
Submitting to LUP Student Papers
First time users: If it is your first time select. Log on with your Student Account and follow the instructions.
Log on: Use your Student Account and log on to LUP Student Papers.
Once logged on you can select to add a new paper, eg.. 20201 is syntax for spring semester 2020.
A new window will now open containing the tabs, Work, Publication Info, Context, Files & Access, Additional Info and Message. Compulsory fields is found under the tabs Work, Publication Info, Context and Files & Access. If you have any problems or have questions on how to fill out the information contact the thesis administrators or click on the questionmark.
The first tab, "Work", is your description of your thesis with compulsory fields such as author, title, abstract and keywords. Make sure to verify your user identity by clicking on "Select author" and locating yourself in the list of registered students. If you are two or more authors collaborating on the same thesis, make sure to add and verify each author individually.
Under the tab Publication Info, write the year of publication.
The next tab, "Context" has one compulsory field, supervisor. Fill out the name of your supervisor and click on "Confirm supervisor". Select your supervisor in the list (the name will be linked in blue).
Files & Access
The last compulsory tab is "Files & Access". It is here that you upload your thesis. Use the file browser to locate your thesis file on your computer. The file has to be in pdf-format. After locating your file, make sure to set the desired access level to your thesis document.
NB! We use LUP Student Papers to distribute the theses for the examination seminars. For this purpose it is important that you allow your fellow students to access your thesis. So please use access level "Open" or "LU/LTH" for the hand-in.
After the thesis seminar you are welcome as the author of the thesis to change to a desired publication level.
When you have filled out all the compulsory fields under the different tabs press "Submit Record for Registration". This changes the status of the post you created from "Private" to "In Progress".
If you experience any problems with the technical side of submitting your thesis, contact your librarian or the thesis administrators. (See first page)
Downloading other students’ theses
Log in to LUP Student Papers. Select course in the upper right corner and the semester, eg STVM23, 20201 (spring semester 2020). Download the paper you are going to discuss by clicking on the thesis title.